Walmsley and Validity Counselling services offer evidence-based treatments such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Dialectical Behavioral Therapy. Evidence-based treatment refers to therapy that is proven through peer-reviewed scientific evidence. Our aim is to track the effectiveness of our treatment plans so that clients only undergo treatments which are proven to work.
Validating yourself and others
Accepting what you can't change.
Learning and practicing new skills
Identifying your wise self
Decreasing emotional intensity
Imaging a life worth living
Yielding to the truth in all sides
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy Clinic in Prince George, BC. We offer counselling, skills groups and telephone coaching to individuals who struggle with emotion regulation. Dialectical behavioral therapy is an evidence based bio-social treatment developed in the 1980s by Dr. Marsha Linehan. DBT was developed to treat suicidal clients and those with Borderline Personality Disorder. Through extensive research, DBT has been proven to be effective for a variety of issues related to emotion dysregulation.
DBT treats the following problems:
- Painful and overwhelming emotions
- Feelings of hopelessness and despair
- Frequently changing and unpredictable moods
- Poor impulse control, particularly around substance abuse, eating problems, sexual compulsions, and gambling/shopping addictions
- Feelings of emptiness and loneliness
- Difficult and volatile relationships
- Anxiety and depression
- Feelings of worthlessness and shame
- Suicidal thoughts
- Self-harming behaviour
- Fear of abandonment
A DBT program has four components:
1. Skills groups based on mindfulness, distress tolerance, emotion regulation, and interpersonal relationship skills,
2. Individual counselling sessions,
3. Brief phone coaching between sessions,
4. Participation of the therapists on a DBT consultation team
Many clients benefit from parts of DBT but do not always need the full program.
DBT is proven to successfully treat Borderline Personality Disorder